A Deadly Virus Has Been Detected In Dogs
It’s called circo-virus. It was mostly found in pig populations and could kill an entire hog farm in as little as a week. I watched the news video on this virus and how it has crossed over into our dog world. The virus has been detected in dogs in California, Ohio and Michigan. There is no vaccine and no cure. Please be informed. Watch this video link and share with animal lovers. Let’s hope and pray that there will be a vaccine for this in the very near future.
Read more about the deadly virus that has been discovered here: Circovirus in Dogs News Piece
This was an excerpt from the book, “Dog Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook” 3rd Edition by James M. Giffin MD & Liisa D. Carlson, DVM.
Originally appeared as Ask the Vet by Dr. Shawn Ashley in Pug Talk Magazine (Jan/Feb/92)
In 1978 an epidemic swept the United States in which puppies were dying acutely of severe vomiting, profuse diarrhea, marked dehydration, and circulatory shock. A minute DNA virus resembling the feline panleukopenia (parvo) virus was isolated. Parvovirus-I was isolated from both domestic an wild dogs, wolves, and coyotes. The virus was found highly contagious, being transmitted primarily by the fecal to oral route and fomite contamination. A vaccine was soon derived.
The most important Tip here is — Get your Pug vaccinated!Read More
Has your pug ever reacted to the Rabies Vaccine?
I remember taking Poco to the vet for her annual shots. She seemed absolutely fine and it wasn’t the first time for her Rabies shot. I was told to watch her for any reactions that normally can occur within the first hour or so. Nothing happened. All was well.
About 5 hours after the vaccines were given, I let all of my pugs out to potty. Shortly after Poco came back in the house she was Frantically rubbing her face in the rug. That’s frantically with a capital F. She seemed desperate somehow. I yelled to get her attention and when she looked up at me my heart fell to my feet and I was floored by the image I was seeing. This cute little pug was transforming before my very eyes. Not only was her head about double in size, her eyes were puffed to the point she couldn’t see. Needless to say, I was scared. The vet was closed for the day so it had to be a quick trip to Emergency. Her breathing was labored and I feared her throat might be closing.
When my husband, Poco and I arrived the nurse took one look at Poco and hauled her into the back room. They asked questions like “had she been outside and could she have been stung by a bee?” Heck — I didn’t know. I suppose she could have been stung by a bee. She had just been outside after all. YES. YES. It must have been a bee. They fixed her up and gave her Benadryl or something like it. It worked.
Try as I like, I still can’t get over the coincidence of the entire allergic reaction that Poco experienced that day. I find it odd that she’d be stung by something on the very same day she had her shots. But, she’s had shots since then and that includes the Rabies Vaccine. No reaction.
Image credit: mjak / 123RF Stock PhotoRead More
My brother Max the pug lives in Minnesota. He has a terrible time walking. His Mom thinks he was accidentally hurt during grooming (like a fall from the table). After hearing the whole story, I think she’s right. Anyway, Max had a period of time where he had to drag himself from one place to the next because his back legs just wouldn’t work. The vet said they could try specialized surgery to repair the spine but that it might worsen the problem or even come back. Max’s Mom looked into it but the cost was more than she could afford. Then someone told her about trying acupuncture. Off they went to a special place where Max bravely accepted the help. He is now able to walk (though a bit wobbly) and is a much happier pug. Here’s a picture of him today!
So, consider acupuncture. It helped my brother Max so much that I’m going to find the specialist and ask them to guest blog here.
Love, PocoRead More